July 9, 2015

A 30s Quilt

A friend of mine asked me to make her a patchwork quilt out of 30s fabric. In tiny, tiny squares. And I said, "Okay!" because I'm clearly insane lol! But look how pretty it turned out! Definitely well worth the time and effort!

Plus I have a tonne of 30s fabric in my stash that I never, ever touch! And who better for them to go live with than a dear friend, right? :)

By the way, this only made a small dent in my 30s stash. I have problems... Sigh.

Pretty, pretty squares! They finish at 1.5" I strip-pieced the prints with the white just to cut down some sewing, and then sewed the quilt together in strips. It took forever. Just ask my very (VERY) patient friend. Plus somewhere in between I lost my sewing mojo, but thankfully got it back soon enough. And then I sewed the strips together, quilted it and bound it in two afternoons. Sewing mojo is a weird thing, no?

The hubs held it and asked me why it's so damn heavy. Because of...

All. Those. Seams.

We decided on quilting in a crosshatch on the white squares, and that really turned out so nicely. I'd originally picked out a different binding that matched the backing (which by the way, how awesome is it?!) but absolutely made no sense with the front. Good job, me.

Then it occurred to me... scrappy. Make a scrappy binding out of the leftover fabrics from what I used on the top! Duh! When in doubt, go scrappy!

My dear friend loves this quilt and it's off to Colorado for her to snuggle with in this lovely summer weather lol

8 comments:

Rachel said...

It looks amazing! Simple squares always look good imo. Love the photo of it hanging on the stair railing with your quilt ladder in the background!

Unknown said...

You're so funny, I can't wait to snuggle with this quilt in the heat of summer! It is gorgeous! As usual your fabric choices all the way around were spot on. Sorry for requesting small squares, I'm so happy you survived it! And look at how pretty your photos are. I love them all, especially the one with this happy quilt in the foreground, and your quilt ladder in the background.

Chris said...

So pretty, Audrie. Lucky friend.

Bitchisima said...

I love that you make big, honkin quilts, when the tendency is for people to be making these decent-sized, manageable lap quilts. I make big-a@@ quilts too, with all the horror of quilting them on the regular sized machine--

Carry on!! fellow large-quilt maker!

mascanlon said...

I am in the middle of working on a 30"s ufo. I started it at least 10 yrs ago and somehow it disappeared into one of those black holes that exist in our sewing stashes. I have more than half blocks done and was starting to lose steam on this again when i read your post! Love your quilt Audrie and thanks for the push to keep going! I have a huge stash of 30's too and a lot of feedsacks waiting for just the right project.

Carla said...

This is an amazing amount of sewing. It turned out fabulous and I'm sure your friend will enjoy it forever!

audrey said...

Such a great quilt.:)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A wonderful finish! And I love the scrappy binding, good choice there! Great pics too, #4 in the stairwell is indeed really good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...