December 22, 2014

Sewing Therapy

I finally finished all my Christmas orders (hallelujah!) and I'm getting over a bug, so while I recover, I thought I'd give myself a bit of happy and start my Moda Building Blocks! This took way longer than I thought but I enjoyed every moment of it!

It's the very first block of the lot, and it's 36"! Mahoosive! Add borders and that's a baby quilt, right there! LOL!

I have to admit that a lot of the time was spent trying to figure out what fabrics to use, then realising I didn't have enough of whatever, then having to change my game plan. Because the block's so large, you need quite a fair amount of the points and background. I started a chart of how much fabric is required for each block... just in case I make this quilt again in the future. Crazier things have happened :)

The block came out exactly as I'd hoped and the correct size. You always fear things go wonky when you piece a block like that! I do, anyway.

So that's one down and many more to go. It's hopefully going to be my long-term project of the new year.

Now how to store a 36" block...

6 comments:

mascanlon said...

Looks terrific. I ran into same issue on fabric so I haven't made a single block yet. Probably should have gone with the kit! Lol

Julie said...

This block is stunning. I am excited to see how your quilt goes together. I'm going to buy the pattern for this quilt as soon as Christmas is over.....

Meg said...

I found myself in the same boat with the first block. I'm definitely having to play a bit fast and loose with my original plan (which was to use a set of Tula Pink's Salt Air FQs for the quilt), and I'm getting the three enormous blocks out of the way first to make sure I have enough fabric for them. Looking forward to seeing how you proceed!

Unknown said...

Yay! A new blog post! I love this block, love the fabric you chose. I'm excited to watch this project come together, no doubt it will be beautiful!

Danielle said...

I love this!! I'm planning on starting mine this week. Fingers crossed.

the momma said...

So much for long term ;-) I fear I would be paralyzed with the fabric choosing part..... I'd LOVE to see that fabric requirement chart! That would be so helpful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...