April 17, 2014

Cats And Buttons

What do you make for someone who loves cats and buttons? Why, a cat quilt with buttons all over, that's what!

A good friend of mine asked me to make her sister's MIL a quilt because she's not well, and wanted to cheer her up. She liked cats, buttons and the colour green, so this is what we came up with! I used lots of bright and happy colours because if she needed some cheering up, then making it colourful seemed like a good idea. Plus it's me... I do like me some colours :)

I used Elizabeth's cat head pattern but adjusted it slightly to make it bigger (mine came out to be 5.5" x 6.5"), which made the dimensions just a bit different. Because as always, I can't leave well along :)

Seriously, how adorable is this??? I'm going to make these little cat heads again, I just know it... perhaps my living room needs a kitty pillow? Or two? Or three?

I went with a white and green dot for the background because as much as I like a good solid, I thought a solid white might be too stark for this quilt. Plus dots are awesome!

Initially, my friend wanted to put button eyes on all the cats but we figured it might be tooooo many buttons. 49 cats, 98 eyes... yikes. I like my friend but not that much, ya know? Heehee! So we decided to place them in the cornerstones, and they add a nice little extra touch.

And because she likes buttons, I got a button-y fabric for the backing, and a binding crammed full of buttons!

I hope she loves it and since it's almost winter in Australia, I hope she spends many cosy hours under it :)

11 comments:

Darcy said...

You always put the best colors together - love it. And that button fabric on the back is ridiculously perfect!

Janet M said...

PURR-fect!

cat and vee xoxo said...

really love this Audrey! Your cat colours are perfect, and I love the background spot. Buttons on all the cornerstones are plenty - buttons for all the eyes would have been way too many, and yep, way too much hand-sewing! Love the backing fabric too. The weather is finally, finally, finally turning a little bit cooler over here. Cat

mascanlon said...

Love all the special touches on this cheerful quilt!

Linda R said...

Sew cute!! Love the buttons etc. Bright colours - happy mood :-)

Vicki said...

So cute! I need to figure out somebody that would like a cat quilt so I can make one.

Lea said...

Ditto, Darcy's comment above. This quilt is fantastic:)

Mrs. Teacher said...

WOW! That's amazing. Nice job! I'd love to make one.

Lynn said...

So cute and bright and cheerful! This crazy cat lady is gonna have to make one, too ;)

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Rebeca said...

Ficou tão lindo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...