May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

In my years living in the States, I know to expect to attend at least one cookout on Memorial Day weekend. 

We went over to the in-law's for a small cookout yesterday and my MIL requested strawberry rhubarb pie. And I happily obliged, of course. 

I made the crust with the pastry cutter this time because I was lazy to go get the food processor, then have to clean it. I forgot how fun it was to cut pastry, even though it's a little messier. I really love crust... As a kid I used to buy the apple pie from McDonald's, ask for a straw and scrape out the filling so I could just eat the crust. I've always toyed with the idea of just baking crust and eating it with ice-cream. Anyone? No? Just me then?

It's always great hanging out with the in-laws... Hot dogs, burgers, salads and pie. YUM :) Plus their backyard is just lovely. It's shaded enough that I can wander a little without bursting into flame :)

What did everyone get up to this past weekend?

7 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

mmmmmmmmm pie. And I so get the just pie crust and ice cream?? yum!

CitricSugar said...

I cleaned, sorted, organized and took in an art show, actually meeting someone whose blog I read in the process (a first!)

I know a number of people who bake leftover crust that's been brushed with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. I also know a lot of people who make a crappy pie crust though... Good crust is easy to eat on its own. Bad crust is difficult to eat no matter how delicious the filling.

Damn, that pie looks good!

Penny said...

What a lovely pie you made! And yes, no matter how delicious the filling I could easily eat just the crust!!

Carla said...

I organized my new sewing room. Yay! Have a great week : )

Laura said...

I would totally eat pie crust with ice cream! Yum! We were at our friends' cabin just outside Yosemite this weekend - 10 of us crammed into a small cabin for lots of wine, food, and fun. :-)

mascanlon said...

It's been a fun weekend of BBQ and enjoying time with my granddaughters. The pie looks wonderful although I'd skip the rhubarb and fill with blueberries! And mostly leaving the filling for my husband I'd eat crust and ice cream.

Kelsey said...

I'm totally with you on the crust!! My gram used to bake up extra pieces of it sprinkled with some cinnamon sugar everytime she made a pie - SO good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...