September 10, 2010

The Dangers Of Being Nocturnal

(I have been informed by my mother that I have not posted in a few days. In Mum-speak, that means POST NOW. Hi Mum!)

So it's been well-documented that I'm a nocturnal creature. A night owl. I do my work both in the day and night, but at night's when I'm in my element. It bugs my husband because he's a morning person. Opposites attract, right?

Another of his co-workers ordered a lap quilt from me, and I finished it during the wee hours of Wednesday morning. This week he was spending Thursday and Friday at another courthouse, so if I hadn't asked him to bring it in on Wednesday, she'd have to wait till Monday. And I didn't want to keep it from her for that long if it could be avoided.

So I'm left with these shoddy pictures.

Sure, you can see the quilt, but the colours are a bit off. *Hangs head in shame*

I love fall coloured quilts. There's something so cosy about them especially. The customer chose the squares in squares pattern so I got a layer cake of Saltbox Harvest. Oh Deb Strain, you've done it again.

I was told the room it was going to be in had a lot of pumpkin and chocolate brown, so I put that on the inner and outer borders.

And I used a variegated thread to quilt it in a loose meander since there's so many colours in the quilt, and the thread was just perfect.

My husband presented her with the quilt on Wednesday morning, and I'm told she kept it all folded neatly because she didn't want to rip open the ribbon I'd tied it with. And sometime in the afternoon he spotted her flying around the office with the quilt wrapped around her body, squealing with glee.

"I guess she just couldn't stand it anymore", he shrugged.

I think that's a pretty good reaction, wouldn't you say? :) It's the kind of thing that reminds you of why you quilt.

11 comments:

Pepe said...

Wonderfull color! I love fall colour too!

Meg said...

That's the best of all possible reactions, Audrie! It looks lovely--nothing goes together like fall and quilts. Except maybe mint and chocolate...

Angela Nash said...

Awesome! Quilt-super-woman.

badlandsquilts said...

Oh that must have made you feel wonderful! And I can emphathise with the nocturnal bit... the bulk of my sewing occurs between 11pm-2am~

Vicki said...

Beautiful! I don't have a fall colored quilt yet... I don't know if I'll get to it this year, either. :/

CaryManda said...

Love this quilt babe! I agree about autumn colours. So yum!

CitricSugar said...

That is a fantastic reaction to your quilt! And your mother made me laugh out loud... My mum is always saying I need to write more but never reads my weblog. (???)

Debi said...

Hi, this is my first time to comment, even though I have been checking your blog every day for some time now. When I first found it, I went through & read everything! I love your sense of humor & it really brings joy to my day. Your quilts are beautiful & this one especially awesome. I have some of this fabric & had not used it yet. Now I know what pattern to do, thanks to you! I can completely understand why the recipient reacted like she did. I'm a beginning quilter & just hope someday I can do work like you do!

Nicole Morris said...

I love the the colors! You must be too close to the project. "Recipient running through office wrapped in quilt" is like catnip to quilters!

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Love that reaction!!!

Rebekah said...

squeeling with glee!! That's an awesome reaction.

The colors in this are gorgeous. Man, I love fall!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...