July 4, 2009

My 4th Of July Cookout Contributions

I'm bringing a few things to the cookout this evening and here's a couple of them. Potato salad and Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie, both of which I got recipes for from Pioneer Woman.


I didn't quite make the potato salad as the recipe stated -- it called for mashing your potatoes and I didn't know how well-received cold mashed potatoes would be. Plus the hostess kind of went, "Ahhh... hmmm... I see..." when I mentioned the mashed part.

I also downsized the recipe somewhat because 5 lbs of potatoes for less than a dozen people might be pushing it. So here's what I ended up using.

6 russet potatoes
1 cup light mayo
1 tbsp prepared mustard
2 tbsp Dijon
4 green onions, thinly sliced
7 small sweet pickles, finely minced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped

I omitted the paprika because at the last minute, I decided I liked the yellow colour too much to add red to it. The hubs is in love with it. I let him have a tiny taste yesterday to make sure it's all good. And today he marches in the kitchen going "Alright where is that potato salad? There's something wrong with it I think. I need to check to make sure." Uh huh, likely story.


And then here's the pie... My middle sister is furious with me for making it. She's arriving next week (I'm so flipping out with excitement but I cannot allow myself to think about it or time will crawl by!) and is obsessed with anything chocolate + peanut butter. I personally am not fond of it -- I just make it for ppl who love it (read: everyone but me).

I took the spatula to my hubs (because if I don't, I never hear the end of it) who was on the couch kind of dozing away. The second he tasted it, his eyes widened and he made me scrape that bowl twice more before he was convinced there was no more. And then he storms in the kitchen demanding a slice. Well he actually said, "Okay now where the #%*@ is that pie!" but I'm trying to keep this PG.

* Added: I also made macaroni and cheese but I didn't have time to take a picture. Hungry people and what not. Made brownies too... so yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"mmmmm. pie!"

(see http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/pie/)

=D

-Ave

Chris said...

I ate that pie!!! It was absolutely the most amazing pie/dessert/food i've ever had EVER! potato salad was awesome too. Audrie definitely knows what she's doing when it comes to food. Take her advice. Look for her meatloaf and macaroni & cheese recipes too!

Chris

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...