February 20, 2009

Nope, Not Possible

I was reading A Cup Of Jo's article on Smitten about swearing in front of your parents. It made be giggle because at age 31 I still can't do it. I'm sure it's slipped out once or twice before, but I cannot purposely swear in front of them because it's been ingrained in me to never, never do that. Mum has a glare that's quite convincing.

Then I married my hubs, and was royally shocked. The first time I heard him swear in front of his parents was nothing compared to hearing my mum-in-law swear! I think my heart might've stopped for a second or two. I'm no prude, my friends will tell you. Without much effort, I could make a sailor blush a lovely shade of red.

But there's just something about hearing your parents swear, don't you think? In all my life, I think I've heard my Mum say the f-word once, and even then she was relaying a conversation, verbatim. A little too verbatim for me... it's too weird hearing Mum swear.

2 comments:

Aurelia said...

Can't even say "eff off" in front of her.

Ari (Baking and Books) said...

I have only sworn in front of my parents on one or two occasions, and each time I felt so awkward! My parents never swear.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...