May 31, 2013

Henry

This quilt is for Henry. Henry was called home to his Lord, and will be laid to rest with it today.

My friend had the top and backing done, but hadn't gotten round to quilting and binding it during the four short months of her son's life. So I took it off her hands because she had more important things to deal with in this terrible time. I quilted it simply and quickly, but with great care, because I wanted her to have it back in time. She thanked me but I felt like it was me who was grateful. Grateful for being able to do something for her and Henry.

It is not the natural way of things, to bury your child. No matter what age. But at four months old, Henry left much too soon. I cried for him, his family and their grief. Please say a prayer for them and keep them in your thoughts. And hug your children tight tonight.

10 comments:

mascanlon said...

Such a true labor of caring and love. Prayers for sweet boy and his family and friends.

Anna said...

what a wonderful gesture. Glad you could help.

Jaime said...

As a professor pointed out to me recently, we have a word for someone who's lost their parents (orphan) and words for someone who's lost their spouse (widow/widower). But we have no word for someone who's lost a child. There is nothing in our language effective enough to express such a loss.

beth said...

So sorry for your friend's great loss. Giving a quilt helps you and your friend as you heal.

CitricSugar said...

They are all added to my prayers. I've been to a funeral for a child and it was one of the most poignant and staggeringly insufficient things I could have imagined. There are no words. It was a wonderful thing for you to be able to finish the quilt for them...

Pomegranate Quilts said...

Keeping Henry and his family in my prayers. What a beautiful thing you did for his mother.

Unknown said...

How terribly sad! Praying for Henry's family tonight. And your gesture likely means more than you know to your friend.

Lea said...

What a sweet gesture for such a sad time for Henry's family! I am praying tonight for them. God bless you for caring for them:)

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

So sorry for your friend's loss. I'm so glad you were able to help her out with the quilt. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
Amanda

Carla said...

Isn't that sad. That poor mother. Blessings on you for doing this for her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...