January 28, 2013

Slow Cooker Oatmeal

I love oatmeal. I could eat it every day and be totally happy. Recently we got it in our heads to start eating steel cut oats which are SO much more yummy but the cooking time is rather a pain. I'm not a morning person so taking over 20 minutes for anything to cook when I've just woken up makes me irrationally upset. And I love the hubs, but I don't love him enough to wake up at 6am to cook it for him every morning. Sorry, babe.

So I looked up cooking steel cut oats in the slow cooker... Lo and behold, I wasn't the only clever duckie with that idea! Thank goodness!

I have a slow cooker, but it's massive, and the small amount of oatmeal would be ridiculous in it unless we were aiming for an oatmeal disc. So we went out and got a little 2-quart one for $11.99. I totally wanted the Hello Kitty one but it was super tiny (only 1.5-quart) and more expensive. And would look a little strange in my kitchen, even if it was super cute.

So we experimented. And by we, I mean me. Because the hubs was already asleep in bed when I put this together. Ahem. I looked at umpteen recipes and finally came up with something of my own and I think I'm only going to adjust the amount of liquid I used. I used almost 4.5 cups of liquid (3.5 cups water and 1 cup fat free milk) Below is the recipe if you're interested.

Slow Cooker Oatmeal (Makes approximately 3 to 4 servings)
1 cup steel cut oats
4 to 4 1/4 cups liquid
1 packet of Truvia
A pinch of salt

I let it cook on LOW for about 7 hours (don't open the slow cooker to check because all that does is add to the cooking time) and then sprinkled some brown sugar on top to serve. If it's too dry or gets too crusty at the bottom, you can serve it with some warm milk to loosen it. Next time, I think I'm going to try adding some dried fruit, or apple and cinnamon, or even Milo. Mmmm chocolate oatmeal :)

**TIP** Once it's cooked, turn it off and let it sit for a little while. Unless you like your oatmeal very watery. In which case, what's wrong with you? (Just kidding. Sort of. Not really. Seriously, what's wrong with you?)

I've never left the slow cooker on overnight so I kept getting out of bed to check on it obsessively like a bloody psycho. If you're crazy like me, perhaps you want to experiment while you're home.

8 comments:

Kristy fordhook1 said...

This is a great idea! I've always wanted to give steel cut a try.

Elsa said...

I really like steel cut oats too ~ I usually soak it over night and then cooking takes just a little bit of time. Yours looks really yummy!

Laura said...

Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try the oatmeal in my little crock pot ... I've been having fun with the little cutie!

Sarah said...

Or, another way, bring it to a boil, then put the pot in the fridge overnight. But with your way, it's already hot!

Cascade Quilts said...

it's funny that you mention this, because I *just* pinned this site http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal yesterday and picked up some steel cut oats at the store yesterday too! Can't wait to try it!

CitricSugar said...

This is freakin' brilliant!! I love oatmeal, and once you've had steel cut or Scottish-style, those instant packets become intolerable. Fun fact, we almost always talk about it with Scottish accents at our house. We stick to our roots like oatmeal sticks to the ribs! Now, must needs find a smaller slow cooker…

I also just checked the mail and got the loveliest treat. Thank you thank you thank you. Thank you! :-)

Nita said...

that's how I make my oatmeal, too. I have a small cooker, and use 1 c steel cut oats, 4 c water & 1/2 c milk. Plug it in before I go to bed around 10pm and it's ready to go the next morning when I get up. Makes lots, so I just keep it in the fridge and heat in the microwave until it's used up. Yum!

Linda said...

I freeze mine in serving size portions - then micro.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...