The other day the hubs asked me to make breakfast for dinner. Chocolate chip pancakes, actually. When the man has a good idea, it's a very good idea.
And because I'm an awesome wife, I made him breakfast for dinner. Although I changed it up a bit and made them chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes. It's like eating a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie. For dinner. What could be bad about that?! Sure, it's not great when I'm trying to watch my diet, but the hubs suggesting chocolate anything for a meal is like winning the lottery. Seriously. Dude gives me grief for snacking on fruit in the evening because it's too much sugar blah blah boring.
While I was cooking the pancakes, the hubs came in to poke around and see if his dinner was ready.
Me: "Hey, I know you said chocolate chip but I do have some blueberries in the fridge if you'd prefer that?"
Hubs: "YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH."
Me: "Fine. Chocolate chips. Sorry. Geez."
Hubs: *mumbles* "Blueberries..."
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 - 1 cup chocolate chips (adjust to your liking)
Butter for the pan
- In one bowl, beat the eggs, then add buttermilk, vanilla and oats. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour the flour mixture into the bowl with the egg mixture and stir till just combined.
- Over medium heat, butter a non-stick skillet.
- Ladle about 1/3 - 1/2 cup of mixture onto the skillet. Mixture will be very thick so flatten out to make it easier to cook through. Sprinkle chocolate chips onto the pancake. Cook until bubbles start to form and the edges of the pancake firm up. Flip the pancake and cook until the other side is done, a couple of minutes at most.
I ate this with just a small knob of butter and the hubs had butter and syrup on his. I reckon whipped cream or chocolate sauce would do very nicely too. Just be warned that the pancake is very, very hefty, so be careful what you slap onto it! It's very yummy but I could only manage one and a bit.