December 15, 2010

The Raven Quilt

Nothing says Christmas like a bit of Edgar Allan Poe, right? Heehee :)

I finished this custom quilt for the hub's cousin... well his wife is surprising him with it. Their bedroom is all things Poe, in blue, red and black. Hence the colours in the quilt.

I was initially asked to use fabrics in those colours that feature skulls and ravens. Skulls weren't difficult to hunt down (although most of them are very pirate themed!) but no ravens in sight. I figured the best way to remedy that was to applique them on. Two ravens -- one for her, one for him... Mr and Mrs Nevermore, perhaps? Hee! Trust me to make Poe twee.

I like how the quilting turned out. It was a little tedious but the fact that you do it in sections meant there was a lot less hefting the quilt around.

Skullsssssss....

These ones glow in the dark, by the way lol

The back is a black and white damask print.

And I used a solid black for the binding since the rest of it was pretty busy already.

I'll be delivering it next week and I hope they like it! :)

3 comments:

Averil said...

okay now this one is my new fave =)

Dresden Quilter said...

It is so fabulous! I love the applique.

Jansie said...

Wow, I totally love this quilt. Did you use a pattern or just make it up as you went? I want to make one!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...