April 9, 2010

So, Here's What Happened...

I almost burned the house down. Okay, not really. But kind of.

My laptop's from Singapore, so the charger's plug is a UK plug. For some stupid reason, I only have one adaptor plug for me to use it in the States. Well a few weeks ago, my insane cat Isobel decided to smash into it, ripping the plug out of the socket... breaking the earth pin thingie. She's really lucky she's cute and smooshable.

And so of course I continued using it. Why wouldn't I? Ha.

The other day I hear the plug going snap, crackle, pop. And I ignored it. More snapping, crackling and popping... more ignoring.

So after dinner my MIL pops by, and after a while, she starts saying she smells something fishy. I assure her we had chicken and I have no idea what she's smelling. Then I smell something... and then my husband spots the damn plug smoking and ON FIRE.

On freaking fire!

And for the next few hours I heard a lot of "You could've burned the house down!".

Umm, oops?

So anyway, the purpose of this very long-windedness is to explain my lack of posts for the next couple days. I'm using the hub's laptop till my replacement plugs (I ordered three! I have redeemed myself!) arrive. Using his laptop's like wearing someone else's underwear. Something you do out of necessity and just feels absolutely weird and uncomfortable.

15 comments:

searchfamilies said...

You should tell your DH it was a fire drill so he know what to do in case of a major fire lol i know that this could have been very seriours & so happy it wasn't & we can joke about it with no one hurt or real damage
Hugs Janice

Jackie said...

So glad you ordered new ones!! Look at the bright side, at least your lap top was okay.

Sandra said...

I know it is not really funny but I still have to laugh...you really now how to tell a good story :)....Hope your package will arrive soon!

badlandsquilts said...

Having gone thru a fire recently (3yr old put kleenex on his lamp bulb), I'm glad all is well, they are just a pain!

Dresden Quilter said...

I am glad to hear you are okay.

angela said...

Yeah, glad your laptop survived! I can't believe it actually works without the converter, though.

I had a small fire, it was smoking a ton in the candle jar, last year. The smoke mess got EVERYWHERE! I was even cleaning soot marks off the inside of the fridge.

Dee said...

LOL all the way!

erica said...

I'm so glad everything is okay! Thanks for making a serious issue so hilarious...:)
still laughing...

CitricSugar said...

It could happen to anyone. Especially a seasoned world-traveler with anarchist felines...

jaybird said...

oh audrie!! you crazy girl... well if you burn the house down you can just come & live with me.

Anonymous said...

Che! If you don't like your house anymore, isn't it easier to just move? No one likes an arsonist.--Aure

huzz said...

um, wearing underwear is a necessity?

Lisa ONeill said...

You are such a hoot! Love your stories!

Rebekah said...

loved the underwear analogy.

why was no one blaming the cat? It was clearly her fault :)

daisy said...

i say blame the cat. she's adorable and noone will be mad for too long. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...