February 8, 2010

Black, White & Red

The quilt for my dear friend Margie is finally done!

I'd finished hand quilting along the edges of each patch, and then did random squares and rectangles all over the quilt in black thread... but I absolutely hated it. You couldn't see too much of the black thread, and it just looked awful. So I ripped all the black thread out, laid the quilt out and stared at it for a long, long time.

My husband agreed with me -- Less is more. I think I was trying to make sure I didn't half-arse this quilt because it was intended for a close friend, but I'd always liked the look of the stitches along the edges. Plus you could see actually see the fabrics.

For the binding, I used strips of the black and white pindot, solid black and the skull fabric to make a scrappy binding, which came out great.

I love this quilt so much. My husband declared it one of his faves. Fingers firmly crossed my friend likes it too! I'm probably going to make us one from Hope Valley but who knows when that'll be!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Just beautiful! I can see why he loves it!

Angela Nash said...

It looks awesome - less is certainly more in many cases! Your stitches look just perfect, it must be so relaxing to hand quilt. I'm sure your friend is going to love it!

erica said...

Wow, this is amazing. All of your hard work has paid off. It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Your hand stitching is amazing -- looks perfect!

Sandra said...

I just love the color combination of this quilt, I guess this would even be accepted by my husband to be on our bed...What do you use for the hand quilting, stitching yarn? It looks great!

chelsea said...

Wow! Fantastic. I wish I had the patience for quilt making.

Victoria said...

this is a beauty, I adore it!
(you have a very lucky friend!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...