September 12, 2009

What To Do With Three Gallons Of Vanilla Ice-Cream...

My in-laws are opening a creamery and we got samples from the ice-cream company to see if we wanted to go with their products. Well we're getting a bunch of flavours next week, but the lady had the vanilla on hand, so she dropped it off.

All THREE gallons of it. Oh. My. Grief.

Clearly, my husband is quite happy about it!

Now everything we make has to go with vanilla ice-cream because what in the world does one do with all that?! My mum-in-law made apple crisp the other evening, and yesterday, I made a devil's food cake to bring to a family dinner.

This was my husband's suggestion... I'd never made one before so I thought I'd give it a try.

We haven't cut into it yet (that happens tonight and I can't wait!) but I got to taste the cake when leveling out the bottom layer. So. Good. Dark, moist, chocolatey... Yum.

(It was almost ruined because just before I poured the batter into the pans, it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't added the sugar! I can't even imagine what it'd taste like... Ick.)

I believe devil's food cake is normally iced with a white icing, but I decided to just use a chocolate ganache. Because I like chocolate ganache. A lot. I did keep it to just a thin layer because there's going to be all that ice-cream anyway.

I hope it's good... it's always nerve-wrecking bringing something you've never made before to a get-together!

1 comments:

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

eat it of course!! well that is what the two boys i live with would be doing!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...