July 7, 2009

Sloppy Sloppy Joe

Our version of sloppy joes*... we use two slices of wheat bread and eat them open-faced. There's a piece of cheese under all that meaty goodness too. I can't take credit for that, it was the hub's idea. Ideas like that are why I keep him around.

I don't use the canned Manwich because I try to make everything from scratch if I can to cut down on salt content. I've tried a couple recipes before and this is the one I've stuck with because it's so easy and is just yum.

Sloppy Joe
1 lb ground beef
1 cup ketchup
1 tbsp mustard (I use Dijon)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup water (I don't use all of it though)
1 onion, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, cook the beef and onions till beef is cooked and onions soften.
- Add the other ingredients, mix well and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes.
- Serve on burger buns or pieces of toast. Slap a piece of cheese on the buns or toast before you spoon on the sauce. Trust me, you won't regret it.
- Enjoy with a good number of napkins on hand.

* I realise my plate looked like I had two brown, lumpy bums on it. Oh dear.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...