May 6, 2011

Hexagon Project

I decided to undertake a hexagon project to give me something to do while I spend evenings in front of the telly with the hubs. I hate not doing anything with my hands while I sit there like a lump, so hexagons were the answer. So here I go... Making a bed quilt out of hexagons.

Oh my god what've I done...


I ordered 1.5" hexagons without doing a little math and realising they were about the size of my face. Okay they're not, but my hands are tiny and holding on to the mylar pieces while sewing the hexies proved challenging initially. But I'm quite glad I went with a larger hexagon because it means I don't have to make so many to get a bed quilt! Plus I can use fabrics with slightly larger prints.

As for the mylar pieces, I ordered a 50 pack online. I paid for a 50 pack. I received a pack of 35. WTF?!
I emailed the shop and asked them to please explain themselves. They said the manufacturer changed the volume per pack without notifying them. Umm, how do you change volume and keep the price the same?! I told them I wasn't happy about all this nonsense and so they're sending me a second pack as an apology (and to placate me...). I appreciate that they righted their wrong so quickly and sorry that they had to deal with me. I'm a big ol' bitch when I'm pissed off :)

A big ol' bitch with a crampy hand. And we've only just begun...

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

I just started a hexie charm quilt, too. I'm using an old metal template of my mum's that she bought in the early 70s. I think it's about 1 1/4". I've just been using that to trace and cut out hexies from all the junk mail we get. And I'm way too lazy to baste, the fabric just gets taped down. The Mylar sounds interesting, though.

DevonMaid said...

I made two 2" hexie quilt, then a 1.25" quilt - all scrap quilts ... and am now working on a .75" flower garden hexie quilt, also scrappy! I just needed something to do with my hands of an evening

http://devonmaid.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/and-another/

DevonMaid said...

Should have said, I downloaded a hexie graph paper from the internet and cut mine my hand ... the 1.25" quilt took 800+!

Deb said...

I'm working on a hexagon quilt using hexagons from Paper Pieces and like them really well. However, this week, I was wandering the internet and found this site where one can download a pattern to print (from your printer) the piecing pattern directly on the fabric...it's called Inklingo. It's tempting...no paper to deal with. But costs to down load the pattern size you want. Have you heard of them?

Deb from ClutteredQuilter.blogspot.com

Shanna said...

I LOVE reading your blog...you always make me laugh!! Sounds like your hexie quilt is going to turn out great, even if it gives you carpal tunnel :o)

Shanna
shopsweetandsassy.blogspot.com

Peyton said...

looks like hexagons are addictive

I started one with .75 inch papers that I'm printing myself

difficult finding enough fabric though

:C(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...